Re: Critical: ssh-nonfree IS exploited

Previously Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> just a small information, I have at least 2 confirmed reports about Hacked
> Debian Boxes. All of them are hacked by exploiting the old nonfree-ssh and
> installing a rootkit. Fortunatelly the rootkit is easy to detect, since it
> is linked against libc5.

Non-free, not part of Debian, etc. etc.

> Sice there is no security alert and since it is onliy fixed in 1.2.27-6.2 or
> -7 we should warn our users explicitely. Especially sice it is not contained
> within potato.

non-free is not technically part of Debian potato.

> Note: the reason why those production servers are still using non-free ssh
> is, because a) OpenSSH isnt more secure (had a remote exploit before) and b)
> upgrade is harder than expected. So we need to make nonfree more recent.

Anyone who thinks openssh is not more secure needs to compare codebases :)

Wichert.

 /wichert@wiggy.net         This space intentionally left occupied \
| wichert@deephackmode.org            http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |