Re: kernel-image-2.4.12 and booting from a RAID

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 18:38, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> Pardon this question, but is it possible (and how) to boot from an
> RAID-1 with an kernel-image-2.4.12 kernel, i.e. boot and root=/dev/md0 ?
>
> This is on a woody system with raidtools2.
>
> AFAICS, the included initrd won't work, so I guess I'll have to prepare
> a custom initrd with at least the raid1.o module included. But this
> doesn't suffice, booting 2.4.12 still hangs with messages about a bad
> magic number from cramfs ?!
>
> I went as far as including /sbin/raidstart and an /scripts/00raid in the
> initrd, that should start up /dev/md0, but that didn't help as well (and
> it looked much too complicated to be the way to go ;-)
>
> So is there an easy way to set this up ?

Yes.  I've attached my mkinitrd.conf file, it sets modules=none because my
/etc/mkinitrd/scripts/copy-needed-modules script copies them all (anc checks
dependencies).  The /etc/mkinitrd/scripts/devfs script removes useless device
nodes.

The mkinitrd.conf file sets it to create a romfs file system (it uses less
disk space than cramfs and avoids all the cramfs problems).  It also sets
MODULES=none as the modules are copied in from the copy-needed-modules script.

For reference the /etc/mkinitrd/modules file from one of my RAID machines is
as follows:

ide-probe-mod
ide-disk
raid1
reiserfs
# below is for USB keyboard
usbcore
usb-uhci
input
keybdev
usbkbd
hid

# /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf:
#  Configuration file for mkinitrd(8).  See mkinitrd.conf(5).
#
# This file is meant to be parsed as a shell script.

# What modules to install.
MODULES=none

# The length (in seconds) of the startup delay during which linuxrc may be
# interrupted.
DELAY=0

# If this is set to probe mkinitrd will try to figure out what's needed to
# mount the root file system.  This is equivalent to the old PROBE=on setting.
ROOT=probe

# This controls the permission of the resulting initrd image.
UMASK=022

# Turn this on to see the messages from mkcramfs.
VERBOSE=on

# Command to generate the initrd image.
#MKIMAGE='mkcramfs %s %s > /dev/null'
MKIMAGE='genromfs -f /dev/fd/1 -d %s | gzip -9 > %s'