Re: The right way to not start daemons

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:37:38AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Craig Small <csmall@eye-net.com.au> wrote:
>
> > The point is, should there be a single suggested method that all daemons
> > use?  I think it would be nice that, for example, a user knew that
> > putting a file /etc/<package>/no_start_<daemon> worked for most
> > packages.
>
> Putting an "exit 0" into the init.d script has always worked for me.

It is suboptimal.  Maybe you don't want the daemon to start at boot but
you want to start it manually.  You can't use the init script then
without removing the "exit 0".

Also you now have a modified conffile which can't be automatically
updated (either you decide to leave the old version, missing the changes
or you install the new version, losing your exit).  It always requires
manual editing.

A common way to make daemons not start on boot without having to modify
/etc/init.d scripts would be nice.

--
Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44