Re: Freeze Update!

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 04:15:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Boot-floppies on some architectures are having issues with sysvinit and
> glibc invoking "init q" when debootstrap unpacks them. This could be
> a busybox bug (it appears to be giving it's init a PID other than 1),
> or a sysvinit bug ("init q" possibly should be a no-op if PID 1 isn't
> sysvinit's init), or it could need to be worked around in debootstrap
> somehow (ensuring that /sbin/init is a no-op). See also bug 116829.

Actually, bootfloppies can't workaround it. The problem occurs in the
/target chroot, when dpkg is running. So at that point /sbin/init is
sysvinit's binary. The libc6 postinst checks that /proc/1/root is a
proper link (under a chroot, it is a broken symlink), which basically
means that readlink returns something useful.

if sysvinit's postinst can incorporate this workaround, we can avoid the
whole issue altogether. IMO, it should do that anyway, as chroot
installs are very common.

Ben

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \