Re: Grub

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 08:12:24PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > besides that there is no reason at all to ever touch menu.lst for new
> > kernels, just point the menu entry at /vmlinuz or
> > /boot/vmlinuz the kernel-image package rotates the symlinks so the
> > current kernel is always the default.
>
> Evil, pure evil. Should we apply the same for LILO, hm? I really don't
> like this idea.

well sorry to disappoint you but lilo (actually boot-floppies since
thats who actually writes the default lilo.conf) already does it this
way and always has.

the difference with lilo is you have to reinstall lilo every time you
touch the kernel files on disk, grub has no such lame limitation since
it reads the filesystem instead of a hard coded blocklist. but with
lilo you needn't fsck with /etc/lilo.conf, just run /sbin/lilo after
kernel upgrades.

> Progeny have done things well - GRUB is the default bootloader, the
> kernel image adds a menu entry. But that's just MHO.

i don't know why anyone would want endless cruft in thier bootloader.
two entries are fine for 99% of users, one for /vmlinuz and one for
/vmlinuz.old  the symlinks are already rotated this way so you dont
have to fsck with bootloader configs every time you upgrade the
kernel.

if you want auto-fsckage of you bootloader config you should have to
do it yourself, it should not be default.  and iirc the last time we
saw debconf crap added to lilo it caused nothing but disaster.

lets not ruin grub the same way.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/