Re: RFC: SDL and X static extension libraries re-revisited

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 02:21:45PM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-11-01 at 11:50, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > WHAT OTHER PACKAGES NEED TO DO:
> >
> > 1) The existing SDL and related libraries need to be modified again in a
> > manner similar to my patch that implemented "--library-libs".  We need
> > another new option to sdl-config and friends to indicate linkage for
> > plugins.  I suggest "--plugin-libs".
>
> This is getting absurd.

What is so offensive about it?

> (However, if this is what _must_ happen, I'll gladly implement it in
> smpeg-xmms.)

I'm happy to help out with this.

> It's pretty obvious that the Correct way to do things is what you
> mentioned earlier:
>
> > 5) You can't just pick up and build shared versions of these libraries
> > unless someone is willing to keep track of their sonames and increment
> > the versioning when an incompatible change is made to the library.
> > Otherwise, you stand an excellent change of rendering your users'
> > programs useless with unresolved symbol errors when they try to run
> > them.

You know any volunteers?  Debian needs to be guarded about telling
upstream developers when and how to stablilize their interfaces.  They
are (presumably) part of the Free Software community with whom we made
our Social Contract.

> Branden, why is X upstream so unwilling to do this? Are the .a libraries
> in question in _that_ much flux? (After all, look at some GNOME
> libraries: we're up to what, libgnomeprint15?)

I'd say the very existence of libgnomeprint15 and libgal206 (or whatever
it's up to today), are strong arguments FOR the recently ratified Policy
amendment that permits omission of shared versions.

Xv, in particular, is still being hacked on a little; see recent threads
on the Xpert mailing list involving Mark Vojkovich and Billy Biggs.

> Hell, it can't be that difficult to write up a quick test client that
> will just test the .so files to see if the binary interfaces have
> changed. It can be automated and everything. I'll do it, if need be.

I am willing and able to do the work required under the present
scenario.  I wish people weren't so i386-centric.  "Works for me" is not
an acceptable approach in an operating system that's slated to support
12 architectures in its next release.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The software said it required
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Windows 3.1 or better, so I