Re: Second draft of Woody release notes

	Great work!

In any case, some comments:

Chapt1 What's New on Debian 3.0 should have a <sect>New architectures
introducing the text. The reason for this is that the architectures text
seems to be an introduction to the chapter, but is, however, a section of
the same entity as the installation system.

chapt 1 -sect 2
"previous releases of Debian GNU/Linux, special headers are now used. This"
should be
"previous releases of Debian. The information about tasks is now part of the
package management system. This "

The "All configuration" statement about Debconf is not precisely right,
I would say:

"Almost all packages' configuration is now handled by Debconf. This easies
the tasks of doing automatic installation of machine clusters (since the
configuration information is now handled by a standalone). Debconf lets user
select a variety of interfaces, from the text-console to GNOME frontends, and
has also been improved to provide for greater flexibility."

"however a 2.4 kernel, the latest stable branch is included"
should be
"however a 2.4 kernel, the latest stable branch, is included"

I would summarise the new software with a shor list, something of the lines of:

New software included:

- kernel 2.2.19, support for 2.4 also provided
- Xfree86 4
- GNOME 1.4
- KDE 2.2
- Mozilla X.X
- Galeon X.X
- Konqueror X.X
(some other useful tools, could use the Debian Weekly News for this)

¿Could we also provide some statistics on growth like we did for the previous
release? Something along the lines of XXX packages updated, XXXX new packages
(the information on how to recover this info, aka script, could be included
in the SGML sources in order to do it over and over again)

¿Should we say that the installer does not (currently) provide hardware
detectio? (something than usually is a FAQ)

¿Should we talk about euro-support? (might be a FAQ issue in the very near future
for quite a number of users and I've seen it used on other distros as a marketing line
something like "now euro ready!"

If so I would add:

"Debian 3.0 is completely euro-ready, as was Debian 2.2, however, the new release
provides many more ISO-8859-15 (and -16) fonts available (both in X and console) and
euro customization is much more easier to do."
(could add a link to the debian-euro-howto when it's published in the DDP)

I would add more information on the installation steps regarding the i18n of
the bootdisk. Many users are not aware that they can fully install Debian on their
mother tongue (IIRC there is no need to make special disks for this).

I would also say that Debian is now "more secure" something along the lines of:

"Debian 3.0 is much more secure that previous releases. The base installation provides
less unnecessary services that might be the target of attack, likewise Debian 3.0
includes many more security applications, tasks like firewall administration,
server hardening and intrusion detection. The packaging system has also been improved
with the automatic check of digital signatures, thus, it will refuse to install
packages downloaded from Debian that do not verify correctly, limiting the possibility
of troyan installation and making it easie for systems to automatically upgrade
over the Internet. Lastly, Debian 3.0 provides also intensive documentation for
the security-aware administrator including the 'Securing Debian Manual' from the
Debian Documentation Project (available in the 'harden-doc' package or online
at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto";

Finally, I would also say that Debian is now "much more international", however
I'm not sure if some of the information below is ready for Debian 3.0 so we
should need to check:

"Debian 3.0 is much more internationalized that previous releases thanks to the
ongoing work of free software translation teams. Debian includes default settings for
more languages than previuos releases, and more of its programs are international-ready.
Debian 3.0 can also provide translated descriptions for the available packages thanks
to the Debian Package Translation Project. There is extensive support for, at least,
french, german, italian, japanese and spanish, and there are more than fifteen active
translation teams."

(I gather this info fromt the -XX packages, that is *-es, *-de, *-ja, *-it....
and by checking the www translation stats)

	Regards

	Javi