Re: 2.4 -ac kernels with Adrian Bunk's potato packages?

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 02:10, Fred Gray wrote:
> For various reasons, I would like to set up a 2.4.13-ac4 (Alan Cox's tree)
> kernel-image package with the same highly modular structure as Adrian's
>
> However, when I try to boot this new kernel, the boot fails with the
> following messages:
>
> [...]
> RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
> RAMDISK: Loading 3332 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
> Freeing initrd memory: 3332k freed
> cramfs: wrong magic
>
> Can someone offer a suggestion on what might have gone wrong?  (Please cc
> me on replies, since I'm not subscribed to this list.)

Cramfs has been broken in the main kernel trees for ages and it's only the
Debian patch in the kernel-source package that allows it to work.  Use romfs
and you'll get a smaller initrd (compress the entire image with gzip -9
instead of compressing each file separately), and it'll work with less
problems.

Use the "genromfs" package to create the romfs.  The old version of
initrd-tools needed /usr/sbin/mkinitrd to be hacked to get romfs to work, but
I think that this has been fixed.