How to go about transition in libexpat1

Hi,

I was thinking about this transition (messy one), and this is my proposed "solution" to the problem,
if the package name / soname needs to stay this way.

Now some packages have done the transition (i.e. rebuilt against the newer libs), and some
others have not.

This is an inconsistency that "testing" cannot detect.
(But this makes me think, is it really the best way to do it?)

Thus I propose the following:

File "serious" bugs on each of the packages which depend on
libexpat1, to build against libexpat1-dev, and
build-depend on later version of libexpat1-dev.

Add versioned Conflicts: to libexpat1,
so that it won't be installed alongside with the packages which are
compiled against older libexpat1.

The packages already did the change:

$ apt-cache showpkg libexpat1 | grep "libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1"
  apache-ssl,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  xsitecopy,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  sitecopy,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  python2.2-xmlbase,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  php4-sablot,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  php4-cgi,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  php4,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  libexpat1-dev,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  expat,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  caudium-php4,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1
  abiword,libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1

Packages which have not.
$ apt-cache showpkg libexpat1 | grep -v "libexpat1 1.95.2-2.1"
  3dwm-server,libexpat1 1.95.1-6
  php4,libexpat1 1.95.1-5
  libsablot0,libexpat1 1.95.1
  libwww-ssl0,libexpat1
  update-cluster,libexpat1 1.95.1-6
  repligard,libexpat1 1.95.1-6
  rats,libexpat1 1.95.1-6
  python2.1-xmlbase,libexpat1 1.95.2-2
  libxml-sablot-perl,libexpat1 1.95.2-2
  libxml-parser-ruby,libexpat1 1.95.1-5
  libxml-parser-perl,libexpat1 1.95.1-6
  libwww0,libexpat1
  libsablot0,libexpat1 1.95.1
  libmidgard5,libexpat1 1.95.1-6
  libcelsius,libexpat1 1.95.2-2
  libapache-mod-midgard,libexpat1 1.95.1-6
  caudium-pixsl,libexpat1 1.95.2-2
  3dwm-server,libexpat1 1.95.2-2

regards,
	junichi