Need help with atari800 colors in X

I've got a problem with the x11 version of the atari800 emulator. The
colors it has chosen make the text unreadable. Unless the text is blinking
it appears to be in the same muddy red color as the background.

I'm really ignorant about how this is managed in X. Can someone indicate
what routines I should look at to see how these color values are
determined? Some very basic documentation would be helpful as well.

TIA,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-