Sather package status

Dear developers,

Contrary to beliefs of certain people who NMU'd sather I have been actively
working on it.

In all those cases, I had fixed the bugs (except one) in my local working
directory but had not yet found the time to get those uploads sponsored. So
they remained as NMU's. Please remember that I'm only a NM applicant, thus do
not have the power to cause an upload whenever I like.

In the case of -2.2, I had worked to close the bugs with high severity as I
indicated to John Daily in personal conversation. (Though I'm glad that he
fixed the ia64 bug)

Especially the -2.3 upload was made despite the fact that I had just found
someone to sponsor my upload.  This was also discussed openly on the IRC
channel #debian-devel. There was no effort on the part of the person who did
the NMU to contact me.

Please compare

sather (1.2.1-2.3) unstable; urgency=low
 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:59:32 -0500

with

sather (1.2.1-3) unstable; urgency=low
 -- Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>  Mon, 22 Oct 2001 01:26:32
+0300

That is as objective as I can get.

There is also a fatal problem with NMU's beginning with -2.3. Sather
currently depends on tcl/tk 8.2 rather than 8.3. The build with fail if you
don't have tcl/tk 8.2 installed. You have to change the build configuration
to make it build with tcl/tk 8.3 but testing is required. (See the changelog
to see how to make that happen, it's simple). That is planned for the next
release which I will undertake. I plan to continue maintaining sather.

You may want to use the following apt lines to keep track of my work:

deb http://exa.homeip.net/debian/ ./
deb-src http://exa.homeip.net/debian/ ./

Since this is a low bandwidth connection, I suggest you to obtain the
original tarball from a debian mirror when building sather.

Please indicate your requests by submitting wishlist bugs or contacting me
directly.

Regards,

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>