Re: woody is getting worse...

#include <hallo.h>
David Harrigan wrote on Tue Oct 16, 2001 um 11:18:34AM:
> Problem is that if you upgrade to 2.4.12 it breaks ext3....

Not a real problem... AFAIK Linus' changed the VM heavily in 2.4.10 and
again in 2.4.12, making Ext3 unstable/unuseable each time. The current
ext3-0.9.10 (on 2.4.10) is almost stable on non-SMP systems, IMHO. If
you wish to use the lattest 0.9.12 versions, change to -AC kernels, that
is the main development branch now.

Ext3-0.9.12 for linux-2.4.12 is promised for the next week or so, but
don't keep your breath. I will keep looking at the development and
upgrade the patch-package as soon as possible.

Oh, and there is one trap on you are upgrading to Herbert Xu's
kernel-image-2.4.12-packages from an ext3 system. mkinitrd inserts
only "ext3" as rootfs module on the initrd-ramdisk, not ext2. Insert
"ext2" into /etc/mkinitrd/modules and you are fine with ext2.

Except of this problem, the kernel-image-2.4.12-... packages are fine.

> > I am wondering what happend to woody. This morning the buggy X
> > 4.1.0.-7 landed in woody and a broken version of modutils
>
> Argueably it's the kernel that broke, not modutils. Upgrade to a
> 2.4.12 kernel and you're fine.

I filled an RC bug on a kernel-image-2.4.10 package, but it has been
moved around between kernel-image-..., kernel-package and modutils and
finally closed by Herbert Xu without fixing.
Great Work! Now, the buggy stuff is in Woody, the users will thank you :-((

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
ATIP:              97m 25s 30f
Disc Manufacturer:  The Coca-Cola Company.