Re: [RFC] Hits/directions to using autoconf and friends in Debian

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 08:49:31AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> > Hmm... I see. I've seen ordering problems (as in timestamps going back in
> > time) more than once due to NFS, however. Should I take that into account
> > and keep the sleep in there, or remove it?

> NFS itself does not allow this to occur as the spec says that the server
> should either provide accurate timestamps or none at all.  If you've got
> a buggy server, then the broken timestamps is probably the last thing that
> you'll be worring about.

More commonly one will run into clock skew problems when dealing with
NFS, because timestamps are set by the server.  I suspect this is the
problem alluded to here.  It shouldn't be an issue if you're touch'ing
all of the files involved, AFAIK.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer