Re: automake 1.5

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:07:07AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> No, that's not true :)  The entire point of the gcc system is to not
> let gcc be an alternative; instead we let it be determined on a
> per-platform basis.

Erm, yeah. That'll teach me not to write ideas down in a
hurry. Anyway, the rest of it stands, gcc is just a lousy example.

I don't like the autoconf wrapper because it goes wrong too easily (I
acknowledge that it's a better solution for autoconf, but it doesn't
fit well in this case). Trying to do this for automake would be worse,
since it's harder to tell what to run. I see no point in doing
something of that complexity anyway, a simple alternative, and calling
automake1.4 or whatever when necessary, will handle it.

 : :' :                         | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-    http://www.debian.org/ | London, UK