Re: kernel-source-2.4.9-1 builds but does not boot

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 01:21, José Luis Rey wrote:
>    make dep
>    make
>    make modules
>    make modules_install
>    make install

I strongly recommend that you install the package "kernel-package" and use
make-kpkg to build the kernel.  This builds nice Debian packages of the
kernel which make it a lot easier to manage and track which machines are
running which versions.  Also the kernel package installation takes care of
making the initrd.

>    mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-2.4.9-test /lib/modules/2.4.9-test

Hmm.  That doesn't look like the right command to get a fully functional
initrd, also it puts all the kernel's modules into the initrd which isn't
necessary (and if your kernel settings are like mine you'll get a 2M initrd
image).

I've written some scripts to help manage this.  I've attached two scripts for
inclusion in /etc/mkinitrd/scripts directory (make sure you don't run the
devfs script in any other way), and the mkinitrd.conf file I use.  With that
and the correct /etc/mkinitrd/modules file it should all work fine.

> and added a test entry in lilo.conf with:
>    image=/vmlinuz.test
>         label=Test
>         read-only
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.9-test
>
> The problem is that after initrd is loaded kernel panics with:
>    Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:03
>
> I'm prety shure that my root file system is in /dev/hda3, so I ran rdev
> on two different kernel-images:

Well if your kernel is on /dev/hda3 then it is 03:03 so that part is OK.

> I think this had to do with the devfs thing, so I re-made the kernel
> without DEVFS support and ext2 in the kernel and it booted.
>
> Does anybody knows what happens with devfs, rdev or new kernel booting
> procedure ?, did I miss something from the docs ?

Firstly if you suspect a problem in a package then probably the best option
is to contact the package maintainer (in the case of devfsd it's me).

Devfsd is necessary on all systems running devfs, and most systems won't
complete the boot process without devfsd running.  However it won't affect
the ability to mount root.

When you say "re-make the kernel without DEVFS support and ext2 in the
kernel" are you saying that you make it with "ext2 in the kernel" or "without
DEVFS support and ext2"?

I think that what you are doing with ext2 is what makes the difference...

I've CC'd this message to the debian-user list which is more appropriate for
this discussion.  I've BCC'd debian-devel so people can see that it's moved
to the user list.

Please CC me on all further discussion.

# /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf:
#  Configuration file for mkinitrd(8).  See mkinitrd.conf(5).
#
# This file is meant to be parsed as a shell script.

# What modules to install.
MODULES=none

# The length (in seconds) of the startup delay during which linuxrc may be
# interrupted.
DELAY=0

# If this is set to probe mkinitrd will try to figure out what's needed to
# mount the root file system.  This is equivalent to the old PROBE=on setting.
ROOT=probe

# This controls the permission of the resulting initrd image.
UMASK=022

# Turn this on to see the messages from mkcramfs.
VERBOSE=on