Re: Package descriptions and making them better

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 03:18:44PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> was heard to say:
> >   One thing I'd like to get responses to, which is also buried down at
> > the bottom of this mail, is the idea of the creation of a
> > "debian-proofreading" list which new package descriptions could be
> > (manually or automatically?) submitted to for comments.  This might be
> > especially helpful to people who don't speak English natively.
> isn't debian-l10n-english there for this?

  I wasn't aware of it, but it might be a good existing forum.

  I think that to make this useful, though, it might be necessary for
new/changed (?) package descriptions to be automatically submitted,
rather than placing the burden on the maintainer to submit them.
  Question: what would have to happen technically for this
auto-submission to take place?

> an example I'd give for non-informative descriptions are the 3dwm's:
>
> apt-cache search 3dwm:
>
> 3dwm-clock - A tridimensional workspace manager

  Oh, ugh, yes.  I ended up leaving these in a non-categorized state
when building aptitude's sample categorization because I just couldn't
figure out what they were.

  Daniel

|   "In the old days of analog sound, if you turned the volume up too high,   |
|    everything started to sound like Bob Dylan."                             |
\---- News without the $$ -- National Public Radio -- http://www.npr.org ----/