Re: Bug in bash

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 06:20:51PM -0400, Bruce Jackson wrote:
> Jens Ruehmkorf wrote:
> >On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Bruce Jackson wrote:
> >

> >>If I do the following:  echo "bob\n" the output is:
> >>bob\n
> >>

> >$ echo "bob\n"
> >bob\n
> >$ echo -e "bob\n"
> >bob
> >
> >See bash(1), do "help echo" inside bash. Ask debian-user for help.
> >
> But, why is there a difference between the behaviour of bash under
> Linux, HP-UX, and Solaris?  The protability of scripts is the problem.

Yup, it's a problem.

The auto-tools (autoconf & automake) folks have struggled over this
for years.  The autoconf manual in particular, has a whole chapter on
writing "portable shell" scripts, and covers your "bug".

by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,
by Taxi to the Airport,
by Frontdoor to the Taxi,