Re: iso 8859-6 fonts

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 05:05:10AM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> There has to be a standard way to at least have basic unix utils like grep,
> ed, diff and friends to work on files with multi lingual contents and still
> have a reasonable user interface and means to display their output.

diff and grep work on UTF-8 files just fine. If you need to
display a result that can't be displayed in a console or xterm, you
use a GUI program to display the text. Just like if you were working
on PNM files with the NetPNM tools.

Look, the current terminal emulator standards just can't handle
sufficently complex scripts. It's a system designed for charcell
fonts with a one to one character to glyph correspondence. There's
only so much that can be hacked onto it, and scripts that require
shaping are generally considered outside that.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,