building a new debian package

Hello

I am having trouble making a debian package that I building install a binary
file the directory of my choice.
I've been looking at
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.html#s-destdir to change the
install directory, but I can't seem to get it to work.

After running dpkg-buildpackage the Makefile of the program I trying to
build looks like this (irrelevant parts have been cut away) :

[...]
# Edited for Debian GNU/Linux.
DESTDIR =

[...]
prefix = /usr/local
exec_prefix = ${prefix}
#exec_prefix = $(DESTDIR)/usr/X11R6/bin
#bindir = ${exec_prefix}/bin
bindir = $(DESTDIR)/usr/X11R6/bin
sbindir = ${exec_prefix}/sbin
[...]

And debian/rules contains the following for the configure command:

[...]
configure-stamp:
        dh_testdir
        # Add here commands to configure the package.
#       ./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man
--infodir=\$${p
refix}/share/info
        ./configure

        touch configure-stamp

[...]

However, even with the above parameters, the binary is installed in /bin/,
which in this case is not desirable.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

--
Søren O.