Re: Purposely broken/uninstallable packages in archive

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 03:16:13PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 11:01:24AM -0400, Norbert Veber wrote:
> > packages such as diskless-image-secure, diskless-image-simple, xfsprogs-bf,
> > e2fsprogs-bf should automatically qualify for grave or even critical bugs
> > for breaking your system if installed.
>
> read the description for xfsprogs-bf and e2fsprogs-bf, your NOT
> SUPPOSED to install them.  we need them for boot-floppies.
>
> with at least the -bf packages the user has to explicity type `yes
> please wreck my system' or something like that into apt before it will
> proceed, if they are that determined to shoot thier own foot, let them.

If its not to be installed, it should not be in the archive.  This is like
going to a restaurant and being told not to eat a certain dish under any
circumstances because you'll get food poisoning.. :)

Clearly these pacakges are 'data' files, and should be treated as such.
They could just as easily be .tar files (or any format, including .deb)
inside of an INSTALLABLE .deb..

Thanks,

Norbert