[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: A language by any other name

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:37:15PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Steve Langasek writes:
> > en_UK is English as spoken in the United Kingdom.
> While en_GB is english as spoken in Great Britain.  Perhpas one of the
> residents thereof can explain the difference.

Well, I'm not a resident thereof, but at least at some point, the
official name of the country is "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland".  AIUI, the island on which you find England,
Scotland, and Wales is called Britain.  I'm not sure how "Great" modifies
that unless it's to include some of the smaller outlying islands, like
the Shetlands and the Isle of Man.

Now, I'll let some Brit come along and tell us all how I've got all that
100% wrong.  :)

G. Branden Robinson                |    You can have my PGP passphrase when
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    you pry it from my cold, dead
branden@debian.org                 |    brain.
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |    -- Adam Thornton

Attachment: pgp70naxkNGdo.pgp
Description: PGP signature

Reply to: