Re: Debian Linux for Siemens RM400

Quoting Karsten Merker (karsten@excalibur.cologne.de):
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:36:02AM +0200, Dominik Kubla wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 08:45:23AM +0200, Andre.Heine@stadtwerke-cottbus.de wrote:
>
> > > We have in our Company an old Computer from Siemens. The typ of this is
> > > RM400 and the current Operating-System is SINIX an UNIX derivat from
> > > Siemens.
> [SNIP]
> > > Can You say me exist a Linux-Version for this Hardware ??
> [SNIP]
> > Yep. Linux/Mips was developed on this hardware (at least Ralf Baechle
> > got a RM from Siemens-Nixdorf back then to perform the port).  Should
> > be working splendid...
>
> Unfortunately, AFAIK it does not. Ralf has written support for the
> RM200, but to my knowledge not for the RM400. The Linux/MIPS HOWTO
> lists the RM400 as unsupported.

Yes, if I remember correctly, the RM200 was the 3rd MIPS system he
developed Linux/MIPS on. We had a fun time when we tried to get hold
of the box. We always hoped that we could get hold of one, but the
chance didn't materialize at that time. Later Ralf moved on to work
with larger, smaller and more interesting hardware at SGI and Cobalt.

Ahh... those were the times.... :-)

Mike

ScioByte GmbH
Michael Neuffer                            Phone:    +49 6131 540117
Zum Schiersteiner Grund 2                  Fax:      +49 6131 6109916
55127 Mainz                                Mobile:   +49 171  1406664
Germany                                    Mail: neuffer@sciobyte.com
GPG: 1024D/2A4697BD BC50 E6C6 42F8 144D 8794 E889 FA58 F882 2A46 97BD

People often think of research as a form of development -- that it's
about doing exactly what you planned, doing it on time, and doing it
with resources that you said you'd use.  But if you're going to do
that, you have to know what you are doing, and if you know what you
are doing, it isn't really research."
             --Dave Liddle, The New Yorker, Feb. 23/Mar.2, 1998, p84