Problem with static lib/global constructors in apt under cygwin

Hi,

I'm trying to build apt-0.5.4 from the unstable branch under cygwin,
and I've got most of the little compile time bugs worked out.
However, apt-get doesn't run.  It comes back with a message,
"Unable to determine a suitable system type",
which I have traced back to the fact that the global pkgSystem()
constructor is not being called.  I see a note in the COMPILING
file about how to fix this, by adding an
assert(&debSystem == 0), but I can't quite figure out where to stick
this little line.  (or, even, if it's the proper syntax).

Would anyone out there have any nice little words of wisdom for me??

Thanks.

Cygwin 1.3.2
g++ 2.95.3
gnu make 3.79.1