Problem with resolv.conf and search list

There is something I do not understand about resolving hostnames. It seems the
search primitive of resolv.conf does not work properly in sid, nor in woody.

Let's see some of my configuration files :

-------------------- resolv.conf
search lifl.fr univ-lille1.fr iut-info.univ-lille1.fr
nameserver 134.206.10.18
nameserver 134.206.1.4
nameserver 134.206.1.15
-------------------------

-------------------- host.conf
order hosts,bind
multi on
-------------------------

Then I know a host which is called sole.iut-info.univ-lille1.fr and want to be
able to call it by its short name sole.

The resolver is unable to find it. Let's see it with an example :

{watney-root-/etc}# host sole
sole.lifl.fr does not exist (Authoritative answer)

{watney-root-/etc}# host sole.iut-info.univ-lille1.fr
sole.iut-info.univ-lille1.fr    A       134.206.40.114

Why did the resolver stop searching after the first search entry (not trying
univ-lille1.fr and so on) ?

Did I miss something or is it a bug ?

--
-- Bruno