verifying deb installation

This is probably a dumb question, but I figure there should be an answer, and
I couldn't find it.

When hacking on a scratch box, I had /usr on /dev/hdc1, and /usr/share on
/dev/hda4 as /misc/share with a symlink...

I then added a big drive, and moved /usr onto it. And forgot to move
/usr/share onto it before hosing /dev/hda4.

I realised because my next apt-get upgrade gave some ... interesting ...
errors, and all sorts of things had vanished. dpkg --audit didn't help much.
I did a search on debian.org for "verify packages" and other related things,
but still didn't get any sign of what I wanted:

* how do I get dpkg to check the manifest list of the installed packages
against the files installed, and reinstall the missing ones? *

Or should I just hack something up and submit it somewhere?

(I eventually tar'd /usr/share from another box and untar'd it on the scratch
box. Seems okay, but we'll see)

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker		no-work anarcho		and stuff
his signature file	no content yet		no vanity website