Re: (forw) [ardo@debian.org: proposal for an Apache (web server) task force]

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 12:36:37AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > From: Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org>
> > To: Johnie Ingram <johnie@debian.org>, debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: proposal for an Apache (web server) task force
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to propose to form an Apache (web server) task force to maintain the
> > Apache packages currently maintained by Johnie Ingram (netgod) (and potentially
> > related packages if the need arises).  The current state of Apache and the recent
> > need to fix at least some of the outstanding bugs led me to the conclusion a more
> > active maintenance of these packages is needed.  The intend of this proposal is
> > not to simply take over the packages (although it might come to that), but to help
> > in the maintenance of them.
>
> Yes, the bug list is huge. I'm not subscribed to -devel, but this thread
> was mentioned on IRC and thus forwarded to me.
>
> > As the first step I propose to add an Uploaders field to the package (once we have
> > a list of people).
> >
> > Some of the other things this task force would do are
> >
> >  - writing up guidelines for packaging Apache modules (a kind of policy doc)
> >  - migration to Apache 2 (IIRC an ITP for this has already been filed by somebody)
>
> "What is 'not on a cold day in hell'?" ;)

And you react like this exactly why?  Perhaps I should have said 'could' instead of
'would' and make the second item 'support in migrating to Apache2'.  I certainly didn't
want to imply that you and Thom would be out of business because of this.  But I'm sure
that we cannot drop Apache2 in place and assume everything keeps working fine without
a hitch.  I was merely thinking that this task force could participate in testing and
porting stuff over.  There's no need to feel threatened by this proposal.  You're work
is appreciated.

> Thom May (thom@d.o) and myself are maintaining apache2. If you want to
> email anything related, apache2@packages.debian.org is the address; that
> goes to both of us. Currently it's not in Debian because Thom's laptop
> has blown up. He did very extensive hacking on said laptop (which was
> really cool), and it's back in the UK (irony, since he's a Pom
> backpacker here in .au) getting fixed. There were no backups or
> anything, so I'm just waiting from some stuff from Thom's tree.
>
> In the meantime, I've toyed with modperl-2.0 and php4 for apache2. I got
> a successful install of php4 after an apache2 install, but I need to do
> silly build and apache2 voodoo to get it integrated. I'm currently
> working on it, but I don't exactly have a lot of time.
>
> The current place for my packages is
> http://kabuki.sfarc.net/apache2/README. Note that this is strictly
> non-US due to modules/ssl and modules/tls in the apache2 source. These
> packages don't include mod_perl2 and php4; if you want you can grab them
> from CVS and attempt to build.
>
> > I also propose to set up a mailing list for this.
>
> Feel free, but apache2 is nowhere near ready for prime-time. Hell, they
> haven't even agreed on a release that should be a beta candidate since
> 2.0.18, which was ... a long time ago. I'd give it probably more than a
> year before I even thought about letting it loose in production.

I didn't expect the migration to happen overnight.  But there are certainly a
lot of gotchas when moving to Apache2 which need to be sorted out and resolved.
If we have a year to do this, all the better given the time certain things
might take.

> I also got bored a while ago, and discovered that 2.0.24 builds cleanly
> (and works) on Progeny.

Cool!

> :) d
> (CC all replies to me as I'm not on -devel).

Done.

Thanks,
Ardo