Re: new proposal: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

Nick Phillips <nwp@lemon-computing.com> immo vero scripsit

> >    What is the size of all this? Ok. we have now in sid/main/i386 (see
> >    [2]) 7000 Packages and the descriptions of all this packages is
> >    2660993 bytes big. We get a description size per package of 384 bytes.
> >    With gzip we will get (maybe) 130 bytes.

> This is not directed at this comment in particular, but many many of the
> posts in these threads that I've been reading seem to be overly worried
> about size. Stop and think about it. If you're going to have translations,
> they will take up space, somewhere. That's just life.

Thinking about compression of data, rather than mixing different language text
in one package's control.tar.gz, it might be better to have them
one-language each.

Compression mechanisms have better chance of compression on data
which have the same kind of text, and Japanese text compress better
when it is all Japanese text.

So, a control.tar.gz in each package has more chance of being bigger
than having language.tar.gz for each language.

And, longer files have better compression ratios.

regards,
	junichi
--
dancer@debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer