Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Michael Bramer wrote:

> > Adam, who is a dpkg developer.
>
> Ok, But why the dpkg so quiet?

No one sees a need?  We all have to split our time different ways, and the
current developers/authors/programmers don't see it as useful.

If someone were to develope a patch, test it, show it in use, it would very
likely get a good response.

> I only see some comments like: `I don't like this hack', 'This don't
> work', 'Make sure people submit their translations in UTF8', ...

So come up with a proper solution, not a hack.

A proper solution, at the very least, invovles storing the data in the
foo.deb{control.tar.gz/control} file.

> But Adam and other dpkg/APT developer: some wishes
>
>   - If you have already some thoughts about the technical
>     implementation of translated descriptions, give us some hints,
>     URL, etc.

Fetch the current locale, and when displaying a field(from a list of fields),
look for the fieldname with the locale appended.  Note, this is not as easy as
it may sound, because the description as stored by dpkg internally in memory
does not make it immediately easy to generify.

There may be other fields that should be 'converted' to an alternate form,
when displaying, not just Description(I'm leaving this open for other items in
the future).