Re: How many people need locales?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 03:33:52AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:25:04AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > >
> > > With an installed size of over 8megs, I don't think that is such a good
> > > idea.
> >
> > maybe you don't use it, but a lot of user don't speak english or can't
> > understand it. We must support locales and if a user can't speak
> > english he pay this price.
>
> This isn't a matter of not using it, it's a matter of a sane base
> install. Perhaps base-config could ask if the user wants locales. Know
> what? That question is being asked in english _anyway_.

no, the question is not ask in english. If you use german BF's you get
the debconf questions in german (if someone had translated the
templates and we have some translated templates in german)

> Installing locales by default doesn't even come close to solving this
> problem, so there is no point in including it by default.

Maybe you should not include it in base.

But it should install on user request and it should ask, which lang it
should aktivate in /etc/locale.gen and run locale-gen itself.

Gruss
Grisu
> Zur Strafe, weil Du nicht rechnen kannst, musst Du zwei Wochen lang
> ein "Rechenzentrum" mit 25 NT Servern administrieren.
Heisst das nicht Rebootzentrum? :)
[ Roger Schwentker u. Philipp Buehler in d.a.s.r ]