Re: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:19:42PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 03:38:58PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Le Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 02:17:01AM +0200, Richard Atterer écrivait:
> > > With language-specific Packages files, there is no size issue.
> > And that's a mirror where we I only have i386. So multiply by 10 arch,
> > then by 50 languages, and you get 10Gb of Packages file. We could reduce
> > that if we remove uncompressed Packages but still ...
> >
> > And a good part of those packages files changes daily ... so the mirror
> > need to download many data each day. That's not acceptable.
>
> Oh, but you're not comparing this to the requirements for centralized
> translation packages: If you do, there is no difference, *if* you
> assume that the translation packages would also have to be released
> per arch.

no, you don't need one package per arch.

_Now_ We make only a file from the i386 arch. (IMHO you get >90% of
the other archs with this file)

But a po file with all descriptions in archs from sid, will not the
big problem and is not very bigger.

> Furthermore, as mentioned before, translation packages have the
> disadvantage that new Descriptions, i.e. _the_ones_you_are_most_likely
> _to_look_at_, will *not* be translated because you haven't yet
> downloaded the latest translation package.

no. If you download the desc-trans-XX.de you have all translations
from XX on your system. Not only the translations from the installed
packages.

see my comments from a other proposal. Maybe we should make
Descriptions-XX files (like the Packages files), get this with apt and
make the po files with this files. This Descriptions files can maybe
stored in one place per dist.

Independent of the solution, we need some
 - translated Packages file
 - Description-XX file (with translated descriptions)
 - a desc-trans-XX.deb (with a po/mo file with translated
   descriptions)
if the user should see translated descriptions before he installed a
package. And all of this you must download and install before you can
see the translations. The first and second download a patched apt, the
last one you must install per hand.

Gruss
Grisu
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play
 one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis