Re: sysctl should disable ECN by default

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 06:01:26PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 16:04, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > I suggest to disable ECN¹ in the default network configuration.
> > This should be done in Woody since we don't like our users to be
> > confused just because of the ECN support in kernel is turned on.
> >
> > ¹ ECN bit causes trouble on bad configured firewalls, so the fresh
> > installed Debian box won't be able to connect some remote hosts.
>
> Why should the default configuration be changed to account for the
> diminishing number of broken routers on the net?  The vast majority of
> routers work well.  Now the only major sites that have problems are
> http://www.jobserve.com/ and http://www.theregister.co.uk/ , but they will
> probably be fixed before woody is released.

www.borland.com is unreachable with ECN enabled too. Perhaps lots of
others.

--
 _ _  _| _  _  | _   . _ | _  http://laviola.org  Debian-BR Project
(_(_|| |(_)_)  |(_|\/|(_)|(_| uin#: 981913 (icq)  debian-br.sf.net

Linux: the choice of a GNU generation - Registered Linux User #103594