Re: step by step HOWTO switch debian installation into utf-8

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 08:47:55PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> > Isn't the "correct" approach to define
> > en_AU UTF-8
> > in /etc/locale.gen, and run locale-gen?
>
> No, locale-gen is not correct since it puts the generated locale
> into /usr/lib/locale/en_GB, which is fine as long as it is the sole
> encoding used for the locale.
> But if you want to use (e.g.) en_GB.ISO-8859-1 as well, it will be put
> into the same directory - that means one of these two locales will
> be overwritten by the other one.

en_AU UTF-8 tells it to make en_AU a UTF-8 locale. If you want
en_AU.ISO-8859-1 as well, then add
	en_AU UTF-8
	en_AU.ISO-8859-1 ISO-8859-1
or (what I would recommmend)
	en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8
	en_AU ISO-8859-1
to locale.gen. That's easier than hand-running localedef and keeps it
up to date with any locale bugfixes.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and