Re: step by step HOWTO switch debian installation into utf-8

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 12:59:05AM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> >Preparing correct locale:
> >Pick a locale you would use. I decided to use en_GB,
> >you may use something else, the important part is the
> >UTF-8 encoding.
> >1) generate the locale:
> ># localedef -v -c -i en_GB -f UTF-8 /usr/lib/locale/en_GB.UTF-8
>
> Isn't the "correct" approach to define
> en_AU UTF-8
> in /etc/locale.gen, and run locale-gen?

I'd recommmend adding en_AU.UTF-8, and keeping en_AU ISO-8859-1 around,
especially if someone else uses your system.

> >(unfortunately, many mails (especially
> >those originating in Russia) claim to be in incorrect encoding,
> >mostly in iso-8859-1 - there is nothing to be done, except of
> >saving the message and converting it with konwert or iconv)
>
> I use recode for this :)

konwert's a little neater about this - it can guess the encoding for
certain languages, include Russian.

> Is it worth mentioning in the HOW-TO that the fixed font for UTF-8 is
> -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-ISO10646-1 ?
> (although you don't need to specify it for xterm to work).  But other X
> terminals probably don't support it yet.  Eterm doesn't.

Most of the -misc-fixed fonts are Unicode now. Gnome Terminal, given
the UTF-8 escape sequence (echo -e '\e%G'), supports Unicode, though
not as fully as xterm (no combining characters, no doublewidth.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and