Re: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

Just a small nitpicks...

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 02:17:01AM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 01:59:32PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> With language-specific Packages files, there is no size issue.
>
> About the only disadvantage I can think of is that the fallback
> language would have to be English, and not configurable - but surely
> that's acceptable. There is no encoding issue either, since AFAIK for

well, it surely is less then optimal. Most Slovaks would want
fallback to Czech version, and I imagine vice versa is also true.
(and Ukrainians and Belorussians may want fallback to Russian -
and now you have an encoding issue as well)

Of 8 friends of mine that are using debian, I know that:
2 would want fallback hungarian->slovak->czech
1 would want fallback lithuanian->slovak->czech->russian
1 would want fallback slovak->hungarian->czech
the rest would want fallback slovak->czech
I prefer original English version

nice statistics :-)

> every language there exists a fully supported encoding which can
> display both ASCII and native characters. The *master* control file in

not Romanian, if I am not mistaken.
Romanian is fully supported by ISo-8859-16, which is VERY new encoding,
and while it is supported by glibc, it is definitely not
supported by X (and I got the impression from reading xfree86-i18n
mailing list that it can well happen it will never be supported).
So good-bye running dselect in xterm for Romanians...

> the package would have to use UTF-8, sure, but not the Packages
> files generated from it.

Agreed, except for some languages that have to use UTF-8