Re: maybe a (long-term) solution to the translations problem and others

>>"Simon" == Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:

 Simon> The logical consequence (and yes, it's a technical solution to
 Simon> a social problem) for me is that we should give up the idea
 Simon> that a .deb has a single uploader. Since a .deb is an ar
 Simon> archive, it could be put together from various sources when it
 Simon> is being installed into the archives, where each source signs
 Simon> their parts of the file. For example, I could think of the
 Simon> following:

 Simon> $ ar tv foo.deb
 Simon> control.tar.gz          # signed by the maintainer
 Simon> control.tar.gz.gpg
 Simon> control-de.tar.gz       # signed by the translation team
 Simon> control-de.tar.gz.gpg
 Simon> data.tar.gz             # signed by the maintainer
 Simon> data.tar.gz.gpg

	And what version number is this incrementally updated .deb
 file going to have? Remember, the control.tar.gz file has the version
 encoded (as does the changelog in the data.tar,gz). And what about
 the MD5Sum in the dsc file? If I get the dsc file from one archive,
 the md5sum won't match the .deb from a site where someone has added
 another translation to the package.

	I think this needs way more thinking through.

	manoj
--
 When my fist clenches crack it open, Before I use it and lose my
 cool. When I smile tell me some bad news, Before I laugh and act like