Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On 08/30/2001 09:30:38 AM Steve Greenland wrote:

>> On 29-Aug-01, 21:49 (CDT), Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>> >      These are my packages. I am responsible. Mine! Mine! all
>> >  Mine! is a bad way to think of your relationship to your packages.
>>
>> Maybe I communicate badly, but that is not at all what I said. Would
>> you include arbitrary MIPS assembly code patches into your packages?
>> And in fact, I have a better chance of correctly decoding arbitrary
>> assembly code than, say, Mandarin. Or Greek. I'm happy to accept and
>> consider patches to my packages. But if I just incorporated them with
>> checking, you, Manoj, would be first in line to criticize me. And you'd
>> be completely justified.

I have a better argument than Steve.

What if some Russian submits a description of a package, located on a
mirror, maintained by an American, that translated into english reads, "You
can use gzip to read i-books.  The lame i-books security method is a silly
combination of ROT-13 and gzip".

Then, who will the American Corporate Nazi's send to prison under the DMCA?
The Russian translator?  The American Maintainer?  The mirror operator?
Some random minority?  (gotta punish someone, must protect the corporate
police state)