Re: mplayer / divx

aaronl@vitelus.com said:
> I noticed that mplayer has its own custom "configure" script that
> happens to be one of the idiotic variety that requires specific
> information about every architecture, otherwise it will refuse to
> build, even with generic options. GAR.

In the process of looking for decent DVD playback on linux, i've been
watching the mplayer mailing lists for a while. They're quite receptive
to patches that make things work, and the lead developer (Arpi) has
expressed willingness to use autoconf. It's just that none of them knows
or is inclined to learn automake/autoconf.

> P.S. mplayer doesn't seem to have any DeCSS code in the first place.
> It only has hooks. If that's considered a crime, then, well, I don't
> know what to say.

mplayer now can use libdvdread (which is in debian already) for reading
DVDs, and it's libdvdread that dlopens libcss if it's needed. no problem
there.

Jason