Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Michael Bramer wrote:
> > We propose the central translation for dpkg and co. But how should this
> > work?

> Sorry, but not. dpkg translations will stay inside the dpkg source
> otherwise it is simply not maintainable. Also realize that dpkg is
> work on non-Debian systems just as well and should be a self contained
> package.

> I'm also not very happy with using a completely different format file
> to store the translations in.

The file format in question is the format used by all gettext-aware
applications, and is common to all translations produced by the GNU
translation project, so it's not exactly something out of left field.  It's
also a format that is capable of managing changes to versions of individual
strings, which tends to be a plus.

It almost sounds like not everyone is talking about the same thing, here.
This proposal for a centralized translation archive is concerned with package
descriptions.  How does this cause problems for the way you maintain the dpkg
source code?  It's completely separate from any notion of localizing dpkg
itself.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer