[RFC] kernel-headers and /lib/modules/*/build -> ?

After Manoj bashed my bug #110400, I discussed the matter with him on IRC and
he asked me to bring it up here.

The goal of my proposal is to enable the user to install a kernel-image and
the accompanying kernel-headers and when running that kernel, just invoke make
to build modules for it.

Now before I get flamed for the technical changes this would involve, I'd like
to ask if that's a worthwhile goal at all. :)

PS: I'm not subscribed to -devel.