Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:43:54AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Jules Bean wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:14:26AM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> > > Most developers are at least bilingual (unless I'm underestimating
> > > the monolinguage English-speaking contingent), and could probably
>
> > Hmm.  Most developers probably know at least some of a second
> > language.  That's a long way from being bilingual! But yes, I probably
> > know enough french to notice if the French description for one of my
> > packages was wrong (with the aid of a dictionary).
>
> > (Some who knows three languages is trilingual, someone who knows two
> > is bilingual, but someone who knows only one must be an American ;-P )
>
> Hmm, I would speculate that the frequency of bilinguism among DDs in the US is
> significantly higher than the American average.  I for one would prefer that
> translations be accessible to the developer, and I would prefer to receive
> notification whenever translations on my packages are updated, so that even if
> the translation is for a language I don't personally speak, I at least have
> the option of following up on the issue of QA.

In my point of view, two kind of people should be noticed of the change of
translation : debian-l10n-<lang>@lists.debian.org (if it exists), to get
advice of native speaker, and the maintainer, so that the maintainer can
review it also if he speaks this language.

This should be notification mails. So, if no one objects, the translation is
added to the DB, but if someone do, the translation will be removed from the
DB.

But the QA group should be specialized in technical problems. There is
enough to do for them.

Grisu, could you add this to the ddts ?

Thanks, Mt.