Re: Syslogd - local? log facilities

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 09:37:56AM -0400, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      According to syslog(3), the standard logging facilities include
> LOG_LOCAL0 through LOG_LOCAL7.  On my machine the only local log
> facility in use is local2, used by ppp.  Is there any standard list or
> policy regarding the use of local? log facilities?

If there was a standard list or policy, then they wouldn't really be
"local" would they?

Many packages can be configured to use alternate syslog facilities.  For
example, to keep all my nameserver logs in /var/log/named.log, I include
(among other things) the following in named.conf:

logging {
  // We want syslog messages for named split out from other daemons
  channel our_syslog {
    syslog local7;
    severity info;
  };
  category default {
    our_syslog;
    default_debug;
  };
};

And then I configure syslog to dump local7 to /var/log/named.log.

But no, I don't think there is, or ever will be, a standard use for the
local facilities.  It's nice to keep them available for local use.

noah