Re: Two questions about task-harden.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 11:27:20PM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> What difference does it make, whether it's remote or not?  A root
> vulnerability is something that one would want to avoid, as

agreed.  this common attitude of `we don't have untrusted users so
local security doesn't matter' is flawed.  take a web server where you
have cgi scripts, but do not have any untrusted users, thus you don't
bother keeping local security tight, or bother installing fixes for
local security holes.  then one day someone hacks one of your cgi
scripts and gets uid=www-data, now since you decided that local
security doesn't matter this www-data compromise becomes a uid=0
compromise within minutes.

this is a real world example folks, whether you have untrusted local
users or not you MUST treat all security holes/risks equal.  saying
`oh thats local, its not [very] important' is utter foolishness.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/