Re: lvm bug ?

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
> Quoting Ulrich Wiederhold (U.Wiederhold@gmx.net):
> Actually he's right; all other filesystems can't be mounted before the lvm
> volumes are available, but the / filesystem needs to be RW to be able to
> create the lvmtab stuff.

> I don't know if remounting / rw, initialising lvm, and remounting it ro is
> evil (i think so) - the other solution would be to copy mountall.sh's

It is indeed VERY evil

> behavior in the lvm script; that sounds evil as well.
> Any ideas, anyone ?

Coordinate with the maintainer that takes care of mountall.sh, make damn
sure lvm stuff can be inserted into that file in a very sane way, that will
not cause trouble with different versions of lvm, or lvm not being
active/installed in the system.

> (remember, lvm is not a filesystem, but creates a virtual device to make a
> filesystem on)

I sort of wish we had proper hooks in mountall.sh to handle that sort of
thing...

  Henrique Holschuh