Re: new port

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Why is it fashionable to rename i386 to ia32, just because
> the new architecture is called ia64? Is Intel actually
> using the name "ia32"? Or is it just trendy?)

Intel does so too, I believe, although I'm not sure.

Anyhow; there's some reason too: a 386 is a processor. i386 seems to
suggest that you're only talking about 80386 processors, while 80486-type
processors (and above) are also "i386". This could be confusing if
you're not too familiar with the term, and you don't have that when you
call it "ia32".

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"