generating locales

I am trying to get the Australian date format (DD/MM/YYYY), instead of
the US format (MM/DD/YYYY) to work with Gnumeric (I assume it is

I would assume that this is related to locales(?). Here is what I have

1. edit /etc/locale.gen, and uncomment entries for en_AU and en_GB (I
am from Australia, but last I checked, most programs seemed to have
better support for en_GB in use of English language).

2. recompile locales, using instructions from top of /etc/locale.gen:

pluto:~# locale-gen
su: locale-gen: command not found
pluto:~# dpkg -S locale-gen
dpkg: *locale-gen* not found.
pluto:~# dpkg -L locales

where can I find this command?

3. somehow get gdm to set LANG to en_AU or en_GB (instead of C)
on login. How do I do this?
Brian May <bam@debian.org>