Re: DebConf-ing Apache Modules

On 02-Aug-01, 15:43 (CDT), "Jeremy T. Bouse" <Jeremy.Bouse@UnderGrid.net> wrote:
> I think in this case it would have to be something within the postinst
> checking to see if it were the last module and thus needed to restart
> the server... I don't think the intent was for DebConf to be able to
> make this assumption but rather to facilitate a mechanism for the
> postinst scripts to be able to talk to one another so they don't all
> have to duplicate the same step of restarting...

The correct solution to this is hooks in dpkg: maintainer scripts should
be able to ask "dpkg, please run the command 'foo' after the update
is completed" (and possibly other requests, such as "after removal",
etc.), and have all identical foo's collapsed to one invocation. This
would help several packages (emacsen, xfonts, tex, menu). It's been
discussed before, but since there was a long time with effectively no
dpkg maintenance, the packages that *really* needed it worked out there
own individual solutions.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read