Re: Perl/Debconf broken in woody?

On Tue 14 Aug 2001, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> > > Pre-depends can not be used.  config scripts can be run before a package is
> > > ever sent to dpkg for processing.
> >
> > Hmm.  Does this mean debconf is feature-complete and will never require
> > changes to the template interface -- or to the implementation thereof?  It
> > seems rather precarious to never be able to use the documented interface to
> > its fullest because there's no clean upgrade path for bug fixes...
>
> It has to be handled the same way dpkg/apt features are handled.  Add support
> for the feature, but nothing can use it until it is in a stable release of
> debian.

I ran into something similar when upgrading someone's potato to testing:
apparently (IIRC) the package contained a translated description field
which made (the old) dpkg throw up. Unfortunately I can't recall which
package that was.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       wurtel@spamcop.net   http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/