Re: OpenOffice

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Martin Schulze wrote:

> > It's no core component, so this may only hold graphic parts. ( In the
> > worst scenario those could go to non-free).
>
> Beware, code which is licensed with a gpl-incompatible license may not
> be redistributable in compiled form linked together with plain gpl licensed
> software, if the latter doesn't contain exception clauses.

I do not think this will cause harm(Though one will have to check it, if
we reach this parts of oo), as the OO.o libraries are LGPL/SISSL, so this
might be linked there. And it makes heavy use of dynamic linking via some
well-defined apis, so it might be possible, that the gpl-incompatible
parts would not even be linked in the high-level programs but just loaded,
if they are they an not loaded if not (therefore they even could go into
main). Or only some graphic programs would go to non-free. We will see.
As I said before, this will need many time, before it become urgend and
perhaps the said file is even gpl-compatible, when we are there...

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link