Cnet Pro200 PCI fast Ethernet Adapter, road runner central florida

I am trying to get my Linux box connecting to the net, but for some reason
my ethernet card does not appear to be recognized by kernel. I think I
marked Y or at least M in all close options for Ethernet Adapter when
creating kernel image (using 2.2.19pre17 kernel-source, potato2.2rev3). Any
way, would some one give good pointers and/or indications to get connected?
I am kind of clueless here. Thanks a lot,
AR