Re: exploring debian's users and groups

On 01-08-07 Joey Hess wrote:
> Christian Kurz wrote:
> > > daemon:

> > This group is the traditional owner of the Spool-Directory /usr/spool,
> > altough the actual owner of /var/spool may vary from system to system.

> Why?

I have no idea, and there's no further explanation about this in the
book.

> > > bin:

> > > 	HELP: No files on my system are owned by user or group bin. What
> > > 	      good are they? Historically they were probably the owners of
> > > 	      binaries in /bin? It is not mentioned in the FHS, debian
> > > 	      policy, or the changelog of base-passwd or base-files.

> > He owns typically the executable files of the user commands.

> But not on debian.

Right, maybe some one can tell us, if there is some other unix, which
still has files owned by the user bin.

> > > sys:

> > > 	HELP: As with bin, except I don't even know what it was good for
> > > 	      historically.

> > The user normally owns the system files. And on System V this group
> > owns the various system files as well as the special device files, which
> > belong to the group kmem on BSD.

> Hmm, system files are what?

I don't find any explanation for system files inside the book, so maybe
someone else has a good explanation. But I tend to think, that for
example stuff in /usr/lib would count as system files. But maybe I'm
wrong. :)

> Again, not on debian though.

Agreed.

Christian